Apply for an International Driving Permit today
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a legal document that endorses your South African driver's licence.
Please note: If you have applied for an International Driving Permit, we will fulfil your request as soon as the nationwide lockdown is lifted.
Have peace-of-mind while you are out exploring the world, even if you are not planning to drive!
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a legal travel document regulated by the United Nations, and it is for your protection and safety. IDPs can be helpful if you find yourself in need of identification or assistance while travelling abroad.
An IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in several languages – so it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
In no way does it diminish the obligation of the holder to conform strictly to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit. A valid IDP provides validity of your local license as well as easing the burden in the event of an accident.
Please note: An International Driving Permit may only be obtained from the country where you obtained your driver's licence, so we can only issue IDPs to holders of a valid South African credit card driver's licence.
Apply for your IDP today - Complete & submit your application form online
What do I need when collecting my IDP?
Please bring the following with you when you collect your International Driving Permit:
- Valid South African driver's licence.
- South African identity document.
- One (1) passport size photograph per International Driving Permit type (Photographs can be taken at selected stores. Please confirm with the store before collecting your IDP).
Key Facts about International Driving Permits.
- An IDP is not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving license – you must carry your domestic driving license with your IDP at all times.
- IDPs do not diminish your obligations to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.
- The 1949 model is valid for a maximum of one year. The 1968 model is valid for up to 3 years. However, the validity of the IDP can never exceed the validity of your domestic driver’s license. For the 1968 sometime restrictions may apply depending on the country you are visiting.
- An IDP may be reissued on the expiry of the old IDP (with a new photograph), but if you are a resident abroad you may need to apply for a local license.
- IDPs can only be issued to drivers holding a valid domestic driving license (not a foreign driving license).
- IDPs can only be issued to people over 18 years of age.
- IDPs cannot be issued to people who hold a learners license.
- An IDP is a helpful form of identification, even if you do not intend to drive when you travel abroad.
- IDPs are officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification.
- IDPs allow you to carry your identification details in several different languages (English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic and French, among others) in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.
- An IDP gives you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details (this can be useful if you are ever asked to surrender your passport, which can happen under certain circumstances in some countries).